- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, frozen
- 7 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 c. buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. cooked bacon, drained and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh diced jalapeño peppers, seeds and membrane removed
- 3/4 c. mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces jarred roasted red pepper, drained
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. onion, finely grated
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 8 ounces smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate frozen butter over flour mixture then work butter in to the flour mixture with fingertips. Grate cheese and toss with flour mixture.
In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg then add to flour mixture and fold until combined. Add bacon and jalapeno and fold into dough. Shape dough into a ball and place dough in the center of the prepared baking sheet
Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow bread to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
In the bowl of a food processor, fitted with the metal blade, combine mayonnaise, cream cheese, and roasted pepper. Pulse until combined. Add Worcestershire sauce, grated onion, cumin, and shredded smoked cheddar cheese. Process until smooth. Serve spread with Cheddar Jalapeno Bacon Soda Bread.
Spread also can be used as a delicious sandwich condiment.